Saturday, April 14, 2007

Bogalubova






I don't even know how to spell it in English. But it's beautiful, and it's just outside town. Molly, Aaron and I went Wednesday morning to visit the women's monastery and the Church of the Intercession, which is on the UNESCO list.

I went once before, in the middle of winter. The way to the Church of the Intercession is not really marked with signs. You have to turn right after passing a hospital, and then cross over some train tracks in order to find the path. Since I'd been before, I was our guide. Boy, was that a mistake. Naturally, I couldn't remember where to turn and we got lost. We wandered the whole river trying to figure out where to cross and how to get over the train tracks. We crawled up and down stairs. I jumped across a stream and climbed up a hill. I could SEE the church, but I couldn't figure out how to get there.

Finally, we met an old man, who rode his bike to the forest and was chopping some wood. He probably thought we were crazy, but he did point us back toward town, which was closer to the trail.

We finally found the crossing point, though we were still off the main path a bit. After grumbling on the way there, we discovered a way home that was, actually, well-marked and included signs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home