Sunday, September 17, 2006

Dacha


On Saturday, we made
the long-awaited, eagerly-anticipated trek to Tanya's dacha, just outside the city, for a picnic/barbeque. It was really, really cold. I say this as a Californian/Georgian/whatever. I had to wear long underwear. And a hat and gloves and scarf. And boots. And a sweater. And a jacket. It was crazy. I really can't picture sub-zero temperatures.

We cooked some delicious shashlik, ate grapes, tomatoes, spicy string cheese and squares of lavash wrapped with (I think) feta and maybe cilantro inside - accompanied by some mulled wine. We went on a short excursia to the hollowed out remnant of an old church, and walked around the woods looking at a big dry spot that used to be a lake and anything else we came across. We stepped carefully across a short plank over a small stream. Between the mulled wine, my being sick, and the cold, I opted to go back inside the dacha and sleep while everyone else drank tea and played basketball.

It was a good weekend and I was happy to be outdoors.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicole, it's not even the end of September yet -- You better toughen up! (That's what my Dad would say :) As you know, I was just in Denver and it was definitely chilly there. I concur with your statement about long underwear - it helps a ton. XOXO

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home