Sunday, September 24, 2006

Suzdal



The name of a nearby town which makes me think of bubble baths. Suzdal is famous for its churches and cucumbers, and I had the opportunity to experience both on our day-trip. We went to my favorite museum ever, an architectural one that was all outdoors and consisted of wooden churches, peasant and rich man huts and windmills, some of which were very old. The most amazing thing is that they didn't use any nails in the construction.

At lunchtime, we walked around looking for a nearby restaurant, and instead encountered a group of elderly peddlers intent on selling us cucumbers. Their own individual versions of pickling-in-progress cucumbers. Since we were clearly a large group of American students, we lost the argument, and bought 2 or 3 different kinds.

That day, Suzdal was having a festival (I think it was their city day). We walked the streets, looked at souvenirs and bought ice cream. Then we decided to ride one of those carnival rides. The kind that looks really fun but maybe doesn't meet OSHA standards or whoever governs that stuff. Our ride appeared to be set of van seats chained and duct taped to a frame, that flipped and spun you upside down. Eric and I convinced each other it was a good idea to ride it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am beginning to think several countries take pride in their cucumbers - apparently Israel has amazing cucumbers as well! Who knew? Anyway, you are gutsy for taking on a fair ride held together with duck-tape - I had horrible visions of that thing dumping you guys on your heads! But, it appears you scraped by unharmed. :)

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the look of quiet suspicion on your face as you inspect your pickled cucumber...I'm not quite sure if you're about to throw it down in disgust, or give it a mean bite..wait, what am I saying? Nicole'll try anything!! :) andrea

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home