Friday, January 26, 2007

The Ubiquitous Pig


Russia really, *really* celebrates the New Year. First, there was the "regular" New Year on December 31, 2006. Then there was the "old" New Year (lunar calendar) which came in January.

This is also the Year of the Pig.

So, they were selling pigs everywhere. Stuffed animals. Calendars. Pictures. Keychains. Even LIVE pigs. Real ones. (Charlotte's Web, anyone?) At the market, people walked around carrying pigs and trying to sell them. One of my classes gave me this handy stretchy pig to put in a window or in the car.

I asked my sister about this, wondering how it is that Russia celebrates the astrological new year. She just shrugged and observed, "Russia is next to China".

Russians love holidays and superstitions, so I guess it makes sense. I have just one question: What will we do when it's the Year of the Rat?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charlotte's Web came out as a movie just before Christmas in the USA. Something for you to view when you come home.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home